- 10 plum tomatoes (roasted), or 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2/3 cup bulk black beans or 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup bulk white beans or 1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup bulk red kidney beans or 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup bulk baby lima beans or 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
- 2 ears of corn (corn sliced off the ear), or 1 1/3 cups frozen corn
- 1 chopped red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper
- 1/3 cup wheat berries
- fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
If you are using bulk beans, soak them overnight in the fridge. Also soak the wheat berries overnight in the fridge.
combine all ingredients up to and including the cayenne red pepper in your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
With about an hour left on the timer, add your wheat berries to the slow cooker and stir.
About 20 minutes before serving, chop the sweet potato and toss in the olive oil with a little salt for seasoning. Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until tender, tossing after about 10 minutes.
serve chili with chopped cilantro over the sweet potato and enjoy 🙂